Tuesday, May 22, 2007
O'brien:"I don't have it all, I don't want to."
CNN's Soledad O'brien spoke at the fourth installment of the Smart Talk Women's Lecture Series in Iowa Monday. She spoke about being a mom of four while juggling a career in cable news:O'Brien was candid about her life on and off the CNN set - despite the fact that being a mom of four and television journalist isn't always glamorous.
"I don't have it all, I don't want to. I don't cook much. In fact, I like saying, 'I didn't make it, but I made it happen,' " she said to a roar of approval from the audience. "I don't go out at night; I go to bed at 9 p.m. And I haven't seen a movie that didn't star a cartoon character in the past 10 years, but that's OK. If we'd stop judging ourselves and stop judging others, we'd make some progress on the things that matter to us, both male and female."
O'Brien, a wife and mother of four - daughters age 6 and 5 and the twin sons - said motherhood has changed her perspective toward developments in her professional life. For instance, while colleagues complained about 18-hour flights to Thailand to cover the 2004 tsunami, she appreciated the rare peace and quiet that the trip provided. MORE

