Tuesday, April 17, 2007

 

Everyone's Talking About the Cell Phone Video

The internet and eyewitnesses played a key role Monday in the shooting at Virginia Tech. The video clip from CNN's I-Report was one of the first pieces of video that really put the story together. Below are a number of quotes from the newspapers this morning about that clip:

>
Reuters: There was a phenomenal amount of interest in the coverage of the school shooting online. A shaky video taken by Tech student Jamal Albarghouti drew at least 900,000 hits on CNN.com in the first several hours of its uploading as part of the network's I-Report. The video showed the scene outside Norris Hall, where many victims had been murdered, with the clear sound of 27 gunshots. Other networks also had video and pictures from the scene.

>
The Denver Post:The student who captured the sounds of carnage on his cellphone, Jamal Albarghouti, told CNN that "after a minute when I reached the area where I took the video from, I saw cops with guns and they were asking everyone to lay down or leave really quickly," he said. "I knew it wasn't another bomb threat. I knew it was something way more serious."

>
Chicago Tribune: Albarghouti was one of more than 100 so-called I-Reporters to submit Virginia Tech content to CNN.Once CNN realized what it had, it paid him an undisclosed amount of money for exclusivity, limiting other networks to no more than 10 seconds of the clip.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?