Friday, March 02, 2007
CNN Pentagon Correspondent Covers Aftermath of Alabama Twister
As reported earlier today, CNN Pentagon correspondent Jamie McIntyre was on the phone with CNN anchors when tornado sirens were sounding in Fort Rucker, Alabama. McIntyre was at Fort Rucker working on a special story at the base. The deadly twister hit Enterprise, Alabama, just 5 miles from Fort Rucker. McIntyre stated on tonight's Larry King Live that when they heard of the devastation just down the road from them they immediately headed to the scene. McIntyre had this to say about how he first reacted to the devastation on Thursday night's edition of Paula Zahn Now:
MCINTYRE: Well, you know, you're absolutely right, Paula.
And I'm -- you know, I'm the senior Pentagon correspondent. I was actually down here at Fort Rucker, doing a story about helicopter training, just five miles down the road. So, when I came upon the scene, I was totally shocked by how devastating it was.
And I thought maybe it's just because I haven't covered these storms recently, but I ran into our colleague, my former -- my fellow reporter for CNN, Sean Callebs, who has covered a lot of these. And even he was saying that the -- it was unusual for the devastation to be so widespread.
Really, I don't think anybody could have predicted the impact that this storm was going to have on this small, tight-knit community in southeastern Alabama -- Paula.
MCINTYRE: Well, you know, you're absolutely right, Paula.
And I'm -- you know, I'm the senior Pentagon correspondent. I was actually down here at Fort Rucker, doing a story about helicopter training, just five miles down the road. So, when I came upon the scene, I was totally shocked by how devastating it was.
And I thought maybe it's just because I haven't covered these storms recently, but I ran into our colleague, my former -- my fellow reporter for CNN, Sean Callebs, who has covered a lot of these. And even he was saying that the -- it was unusual for the devastation to be so widespread.
Really, I don't think anybody could have predicted the impact that this storm was going to have on this small, tight-knit community in southeastern Alabama -- Paula.

