Wednesday, August 02, 2006
July Ratings: CNN Up, FNC Down
I read several blogs, trade websites and the such and it is really amazing how the numbers are spun. One blog has a headline like "Numbers Good for FNC in July", THEN I read and look at the numbers and the numbers I see are down from last year for FNC. Anyway, here's a portion of an article in Variety about how the numbers played out for July:
"CNN saw sharp audience increases in July as war broke out in the south of Lebanon. Net was up 29% in total viewers and 46% in the 25-54 demographic during the month -- the biggest increase for any cable news network.
Fox News Channel was down 6% in total viewers and flat in the 25-54 demo. It suffered a more precipitous decline in primetime, losing 19% in total viewers and 16% in the demo.
Despite FNC's declines, it still beat CNN handily in primetime, averaging 1.5 million viewers to CNN's 864,000; CNN still has a long way to go before it can be considered a serious ratings challenger."
So how I see it is, CNN was up in July and FNC was down. Can losing viewers be a good thing? Hmmmm, I detect a leak on the Titanic and a blind PR team.
"CNN saw sharp audience increases in July as war broke out in the south of Lebanon. Net was up 29% in total viewers and 46% in the 25-54 demographic during the month -- the biggest increase for any cable news network.
Fox News Channel was down 6% in total viewers and flat in the 25-54 demo. It suffered a more precipitous decline in primetime, losing 19% in total viewers and 16% in the demo.
Despite FNC's declines, it still beat CNN handily in primetime, averaging 1.5 million viewers to CNN's 864,000; CNN still has a long way to go before it can be considered a serious ratings challenger."
So how I see it is, CNN was up in July and FNC was down. Can losing viewers be a good thing? Hmmmm, I detect a leak on the Titanic and a blind PR team.

