Friday, June 23, 2006

 

Too Many Slogans for CNN?

Bella Depaulo seems to think that CNN has too much sloganeering. Here's a bit of the rant: "So, just when sloganeering has so sullied the political discourse that even politicians are beginning to resist it, CNN has decided to embrace it. The network seems to want us to believe that they have the best political team and the most reliable news about security because they said so (again and again).

Maybe I should regard this sloganeering in the newsroom as innocuous. Perhaps the greatest threat is that it can come back to mock the organizations that practice it. (Need I mention "fair and balanced"?)

I'm not so sure. Sloganeering is a mental short cut, designed to bypass deep thinking. It is a test that tells you the answer before you even get to read the question. Isn't that exactly the opposite of what journalism is supposed to be about?"


Read the full article HERE.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?