Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Brown Was Going to Leave CNN When Contract Was Up
In an article in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Star Tribune, former NewsNight anchor Aaron says he was gonna leave CNN in 2007 when his contract was up. Below is that part of the article:
" How did his ( Peter Jennings's) death affect you?
It had a profound effect. I started thinking less and less about what I was accomplishing and more and more about what I'm missing. What had I sacrificed to become me? I had absolutely decided that once my CNN contract expired in 2007, I was going to do something else. To be honest, I wanted to walk away on my own terms, but when it went down, I was the calmest guy in the room.
I'm at peace now with all of it. I'm proud of what I've done and I'm content that I'll always be seen professionally in a certain way. You're taught along the way to never do anything to screw up the first line in your obituary, and mine is still going to say, "Aaron Brown, one of the anchors who helped the country through difficult days after 9/11. ... " That's not a bad ending. Dan [Rather] is really the sad character right now. His obituary is going to say, "Dan Rather, who was forced to resign. ... " That's a bad ending."
" How did his ( Peter Jennings's) death affect you?
It had a profound effect. I started thinking less and less about what I was accomplishing and more and more about what I'm missing. What had I sacrificed to become me? I had absolutely decided that once my CNN contract expired in 2007, I was going to do something else. To be honest, I wanted to walk away on my own terms, but when it went down, I was the calmest guy in the room.
I'm at peace now with all of it. I'm proud of what I've done and I'm content that I'll always be seen professionally in a certain way. You're taught along the way to never do anything to screw up the first line in your obituary, and mine is still going to say, "Aaron Brown, one of the anchors who helped the country through difficult days after 9/11. ... " That's not a bad ending. Dan [Rather] is really the sad character right now. His obituary is going to say, "Dan Rather, who was forced to resign. ... " That's a bad ending."

