Saturday, March 04, 2006
Payne: Pipeline "Addictive"
In the first of a 3 part series in an interview with Digital Spy, CNN.com's David Payne, Payne talks about CNN's PipeLine service:"You can always sell more, is kind of how I think of it. I'm extremely pleased with the key features of what's going on," he said. "The users that have it, love it. It's addictive, it's sticky, and you can leave it in mini-mode and watch along - it has drama, but it also has the choice elements. It's been extremely well received by anyone who's looked at it or written about it or talked about it and the users love it. The functionality works. So, I'm extremely pleased on that.
"We're in the acquisition mode - our challenge as a business is to get it out in front of as many people as we can and get the software downloaded. We're only nine weeks in, so I have to learn to be patient!"
On Tuesday, the network provided Pipeline free to all users to showcase the product's coverage of Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Payne called the day "a great success," adding that "90% of the comments from people emailing or hitting "your voice" [in the Pipeline player] were overwhelmingly positive so now we'll probably be doing more of those types of promotions."
Payne also revealed that CNN is exploring other ways to get Pipeline to consumers outside offering a download link on CNN.com.
"We're working on deals to bundle these assets together with other people selling both digital products and offline subscriptions. We're talking to the portals about bundling into their service and so forth. So we'll get some traction somewhere, that I'm certain of because anybody who sees it goes... "I gotta have that."
"It's Internet 2.0."
Read the full article HERE.

