Friday, April 08, 2005
Goodman: AC May Be the Future, I'd Rather Watch Brown
Source: San Francisco Chronicle Great article by Tim Goodman in today's San Francisco Chronicle. Good writes about all the longtime anchors leaving the networks and the future of news in general. Below is an excerpt from the article:
I'd like to see Koppel pop up in one of two places: CNN or PBS. Koppel is a serious newsman and he needs to have his interest in long-form explanatory journalism encouraged. Those are about the only two places left to make it happen in the right fashion.
Every time I write a story about network news or the "three iconic anchors," a smattering of people accuse me of criminally neglecting Jim Lehrer and the "NewsHour." There's probably some truth to the idea that the other three, driven by their personalities (not to mention a whole lot more viewers), took the bulk of my interest. But it's also true that through the years I've watched Lehrer three times as often as the others, combined. He is, and remains, my reliable go-to news guy.
But I do like some outsize (just so) personality in my news, and maybe that's why the anchor I've been watching almost nightly and with the most interest is CNN's Aaron Brown.
Now, I know Brown is not everybody's favorite, which is fine. And as even he well knows, I haven't always been kind to him. But I can't stop watching. I like his delivery, I like what some people might call "that smirk," I like his underlying sense of passion and perhaps it's the journalist in me geeking out, but I do like the "Morning Papers" segment a whole lot.
Even before Brokaw retired and Rather got in a mess, I was prepping a column about Brown being the anchor I watch most (despite or because of CNN's inability to figure out quite what to do with him, or how to promote him).
But Jennings' illness only put an exclamation point on how much I miss seeing the others. Leaving the anchor chair is fine, but the stage -- not yet. Clearly there is something in Brown that resonates with and relates to the others. Shepard Smith and Anderson Cooper and Williams may well be the future, but apparently I'm not ready to go there.
Update: 5:30pm- This from an e-mailer: "I watch him every night, and if someone else take his place, I will get my news elsewhere, he is passionate and have feelings, he is not, just a talking box like so many are......and if P Jenning has to retire, he could easly fill for him, but It would be only 30 minutes instead of on hour"

